We have all had conversations with Israelis bereft of the common courtesies – thank you, please, or polite excuses. On this episode, host Guy Sharett explains exactly what is going on in the Israeli brain when answering our offers or questions in what seem to be curt, abrupt, and even rude ways.

Words and expressions discussed:

Sicha menumeset – Polite conversation – שיחה מנומסת

Efshar espresso? – May I have an espresso? – ?אפשר אספרסו

Nahutz li gever menumas – I need a polite man – נחוץ לי גבר מנומס

Rotse kafe? Lo. – Do you want coffee? No. – רוצה קפה? לא

Efshar laredet? Ken. – Can I get off? Yes. – אפשר לרדת? כן

Ba lecha mitz? Lo. – Do you feel like juice? No. – בא לך מיץ? לא

Nifgashim ba-spontani? Lo, asuk – Wanna meet now spontaneously? No, (I am) busy. – נפגשים בספונטני? לא, עסוק

Ramkolim menumasim – Polite speakers – רמקולים מנומסים

Music:
Shlomo Artzi & Astar Shamir – Brit Lo Muteret (lyrics)
Yossi Banai & Yona Atari – Rina (lyrics)
Meir Ariel – Terminal (lyrics)

The Hebrew Verb Tables app is available to everyone on the iOS App Store and Google Play Store

Looking to support the show? Learn how on Patreon.

Want to see more Hebrew gems? Like Streetwise Hebrew on Facebook and Instagram.

Want Guy to talk about a pressing Hebrew issue? Find him at StreetWiseHebrew.com or follow him on Twitter.

8 Comments

1. Deavman
    January 31, 2017 at 7:32 pm — Reply

רמקולים מנומסים = polite loudspeakers.
    Not” polite (human) speakers.”
    That woul be translated as :
    דוברי עברית מנומסים

2. Elizabeth Farah
    February 1, 2017 at 2:11 am — Reply

Love your show.

Excuse me, I am sorry to give you a pronunciation tip. :^)

I don’t know if you model your English on UK or American English, so, take that into account. The words alienated and hypocritical: the initial a in the former, should be a hard or long “a” as in acorn. The hypo in the later should be hippo-critical with a short “i” sound. That’s in “American”!

Keep up the valuable service to us newbie Hebrew learners.

Bevakasha, toda raba…

EF

• Guy
      February 2, 2017 at 4:10 pm — Reply

Toda raba Elizabeth!

3. Tom
    February 1, 2017 at 4:50 am — Reply

I went to listen to Meir Ariel – Terminal, which is great
    I found this gem also
    מאיר אריאל- היכנסי כבר לאוטו וניסע
    It’s very relevant to the “register” and politeness topic.
    The (apparently) male speaker tells his female companion,
    Tafseekee Livkot, Hikansee l’Auto v’Nisa
    Stop crying, get in the car and we’ll drive

4. Pam
    February 1, 2017 at 5:41 am — Reply

Forwarded this to my son who just moved from polite Canada to TLV.
    I hope his ulpan teacher takes them to your tour/class!
    PJ

5. Ido
    February 1, 2017 at 11:44 pm — Reply

Tom,
    If you liked those two songs, you might love these two, too
    Meir is one of the bestests…

6. Suzie Jacobson
    February 3, 2017 at 3:42 pm — Reply

I really enjoyed this episode and the explanation of why Israelis don’t use please and thank you too much. It really seems a very important lesson to teach new/veteran immigrants at ulpan. It’s like getting inside the Israeli mindset which generally takes a very long time to do.

BTW I want to pass samples of your podcasts to friends. Do I have to direct them to your Facebook page?

• February 3, 2017 at 10:53 pm — Reply

Suzie, the best way is to send them to http://tlv1.fm/streetwisehebrew where they can subscribe to the podcast on their favorite mobile podcast app. Another option is to have them search for StreetWise Hebrew inside their podcast apps.